Friday, October 10, 2008

innocence fades.

"Forget what we're told, before we get too old" - Chasing Cars, Snow Patrol

So much of growing up is taken to mean gaining more knowlegde,wisdom, intellect. Collecting memories, bits of 'advice' from here and there just to build up who we are and how we think or reason things. Sometimes, there are things not meant to be taken so literally. Taken with a pinch of salt, so to speak, in the words of wise older people. Heh.

For most, growing up means to forget how to laugh at simply anything. Not just at your friends as the dog-eat-dog world teaches you how but with them as well. Means to an end or an end in itself? Ethical questions I will be taught to ponder in my next semester. A question I believe should be imbued from before but isn't. So now I'm questioning the manner we're made? No, it simply is. We are all given choices.

There's a verse in the Bible. It quotes
"See, I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. So be as cunning as serpents and as innocent as doves." Matthew 1-:16
It was one of the verses that baffled me most. Still does. I know not how to keep that innocence and walk the tightrope of morality and survival.
Survival even within siblings even in a home where there are indeed no favourites, no special apples. Hard to see, hard for some to feel that way but it's true. Judgement is not by man, yet time over will he do it. It's not hard to judge when one is not on the receiving end. No surprises there.

When children play, seldom do they divide by color or even speech. It comes later, with mimicry and observation. This suddenly brings to mind a typical child's game where a set of similiar looking objects are placed on a page and the child is told to spot different one.

It's fun to point out differences because it reaffirms the belief that you're not the odd one out. It helps assure the ones you talk to that you're in. Maybe. I don't know.

'Children laugh more than 300 times a day while adults only less than 20 times a day.' So it's said.

Thinking in intricate swirls this close to bedtime and typing it out?
I must need sleep. :)

Oh, before that, HAPPY 21st BIRTHDAY, CHELLE-CHAN!!! Miss you loads and wish you could be here (or we could be there) to celebrate this day for you!